As a tax professional, I am ethically bound to help you pay the lowest tax you are legally required to
pay. This list will help me do my job. It is a concise, though not exhaustive, outline of some of the documents I will need
when I meet with you.
- A copy of last year's Federal
and State tax returns.
- All statements
of income, such as:
- Interest and Dividend statements (Form
- Pension income amounts
including Social Security
Retirement Account contributions or withdrawals
- Unemployment income statements
- Trust, "S" corporation, and/or Partnership income amounts (Form K-1)
- Amounts of mortgage interest and points paid (Form 1098), real
estate and auto excise taxes paid, charitable donations (both cash and non-cash), and "out-of-pocket" medical expenses
- Records of child care expenses including amounts and payee including the federal
tax ID and address
- Lists of any
job related expenses, such as:
expenses (if your move was job related)
- Tools and other equipment such as computers, etc.
- Safety clothing and uniforms
- Professional books, journals, dues, union dues, etc.
- Amounts of any estimated tax payments including payments made in Jan of the following
- Details of any capital gains
transactions including Sale $ Amount and date, Cost $ Amount and Date
- If you own rental property or a small business, we will need to see the records pertaining
to the property or business.